22 junio 2007

“Hello” Magazine Interview

How is your newest adopted son, Pax, adjusting to family life? He’s a great kid. When we first met him, we thought he was really shy and really quiet, but about two days at home, we discovered that he is the loudest member of the family! He is very athletic, very bold. Pax and Zee [Zahara] have really connected because they’re closer in age, and Madd and Pax – they’re brothers, so they have moments where they absolutely bond together against everybody else in the family. Then they have moments where they bug each other, but it’s quite normal. It’s nice. I’m really, really proud.

It’s rumored that you’re considering adopting a child from the Czech Republic. Is there any truth to this? No. We’re not considering any more adoptions at the moment. We’re trying to make sure that all of our kids are adjusted first and that they all have individual time. We will have more children, but not right now. We’re alwaysopen to all countries, but there just isn’t any truth to the rumors. Just because [we] adopt and because we travel, people say Brad’s buying a house wherever he goes and I’m adopting a child wherever I go.

Do you and Brad have different parenting styles? We’re very similar and we support each other as parents, so there is no divide of “Daddy’s good with this but Mommy doesn’t like it,” or vice versa. Brad is just as affectionate and loving as I am, and I am just as playful.

Do you cook? No. Brad would tell you that I am one of the worst cooks in the world, but my first husband said that I pretended to cook badly so I never had to.

How did Brad help you through the loss of your mother? God, it’s funny to give all his secrets away. He’s a really great friend. He really cares. When my mom passed, he sat with me in the [hospital] room and held her hand and helped me go through all the stages that you have to deal with when someone passes, from her ashes to everything. He was just wonderful to my brother [James] as well. [After her funeral] we all went back home and then he just spent the night asking us questions about our mom.He got us to tell funny stories about her and focus on all the love and all the joy. Brad is extraordinary.

How’s your relationship with his parents? When I first met Brad’s parents, I came in with two adopted children from other countries and that was new for them and their family. I didn’t know how they were going to be, but they’re wonderful, wonderful people. They’re equally loving to all of the children. We’ve left the children with them quite a few times, but I don’t know if we’ll leave them with Pax at the moment [smiling].

Would you say you wear your emotions on your sleeve more than you used to? I suppose, in some way. It’s funny, because I feel like I’m this really emotional person but people have often said to me, about myself or the roles I play, that I seem strong. I’m often surprised that people don’t see me or think of me as an emotional person. Maybe they do more now, but for a long time in my life, it was that I was just tough or something, and that I lacked emotion.

There’s been a lot of speculation about your recent weight loss. The funny thing is when somebody says, “you’re thin,” people say, “thank you.” But to me, it is not a compliment. It’s not something I want to be. I have always been lean, and this year I lost my mom, I have four kids, I finished breastfeeding and it’s been hard to get my nutrition back on track and learn about my body after birth. The disturbing thing is that instead of somebody saying, “Oh, this looks like a person that’s actually dealing with something [emotional],” they say, “does she want to fit into skinny jeans?” When I [read] anything that says I’m too thin, I think “Good, good!” Let it be a criticism. I don’t want to encourage young girls to be too thin.

Where is the reckless Angelina of old, who dived into the hotel pool after winning her Golden Globe? [Laughing] I’m really the same person. I jumped in the pool because somebody dared me to. So it wasn’t anything punk. It was true happiness and fun. Hopefully, I do still have that [quality] and I’ll jump in many pools in the future.

No hay comentarios: